Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pussy Willows: A Rite Of Spring

Even though it's snowing outside this morning I know spring is right around the corner (seems like I've been saying that a lot lately). Over the weekend we decorated the house for Easter. I'm really looking forward to a celebration with our families, especially since the two older kids will be home from college for the weekend!
I made an Easter tree using some pussy willows that my husband collected for me- story and instructions to follow.
Martha Stewart

Besides making an Easter tree, I thought I would show you some other ways to use pussy willows to decorate your home. The link below the pictures from Martha Stewart will take you to a page with instructions for making that particular project.

Pussy-Willow Basket
Martha Stewart

Also, I learned some interesting information about pussy willows that I would like to pass along.


Anytime Flowers, Inc.

Pussy willows are a  true harbinger of spring not only in the US but in Canada and Europe as well. The Latin name for these trees in north America is salix discolor while in Europe, their rough equivalent, the "goat willow" is scientifically referred to as salix caprea.




Spring Nests How-To
Martha Stewart
The terminology "pussy willows" is used loosely to refer to the tree themselves and to the fuzzy little buds also known as "catkins.
Inhabit Living
I was considering rooting some of the branches and did a little research. Its amazing how simple it is. You can root them in a container of water or literally just stick the cut-side of the branch into the ground and it will root. Pussy willows are native to wetlands therefore the area where you're attempting to root the branches must be wet or else they will need a considerable amount of watering.

Pussy Willows Vinyl Wall Tattoo
Sensory Edge
Vinyl wall decals

For those that share my love of birds:
The Macphail Woods Ecological Forestry Project of Prince Edward Island, Canada notes the importance of pussy willows for feeding wild birds and other wildlife:
Willow buds are second only to the buds of poplars as preferred food of ruffed grouse. Beaver ... muskrat, red squirrel, and snowshoe hare all include willow in their diet. The leaves are rich in Vitamin C and zinc. Pussy willows are an important nesting site for American goldfinch, while other songbirds use them to a lesser degree. The cover and protection thickets of willow provide are probably of equal importance to wildlife as its food value.

Wreaths Unlimited

David Beaulieu on About.com says, "Deer also like to eat the branches of pussy willows. All this attention from wildlife has its good side, of course, especially for bird watching. But the downside is that, if you don't want your pussy willows damaged, you'll have to protect them -- perhaps with chicken wire or some other fencing." 


Pussy-Willow Wreath and Balls
Martha Stewart
I had all ready made my Easter tree when I discovered all of these projects or else I might have tried one of them. I suppose I could go get some more. I do really like the wreath and the and I LOVE the little nests. I really should go get some more!

Does anyone remember this Little Golden Book
Illustrated by the renowned Leonard Weisgard

Now for the Easter Tree:

My husband rarely buys me flowers. There is a reason for this. I've told him time and time again not to waste money on a bouquet of  flowers, just get me the rose bush or potted flower plant. That's the key to my heart :) If he shows up with a packet of seeds, he's in trouble! 
The other day I ran by a pussy willow tree on the side of the road. The best branches were at the top so I asked him if he would cut some for me. You gotta love him- he practically brought me the entire tree! These branches are about six feet long! 


I was just about to trim them down when I thought that they would make a nice Easter tree- I've always wanted to do that. I have an old concrete vase that I picked up years ago at an antique show. I think they are used at cemeteries or possibly they are just made for gardens, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's perfect for this because you need something heavy, especially if you're going to do a huge one (like with six foot branches!). If you have a tall vase you could fill the bottom with stones. I think that would work just fine.


I cut some Styrofoam to fit into the opening. After examining the general shape of each branch, I pressed three of them into position, very close together. If your working with a vase and stones, I would use two thirds stone and still fill the top third with Styrofoam.



Reindeer moss is the perfect material for covering the Styrofoam. It's bright green and soft (a bit spongy). I didn't have florists pins so I made some by cutting paper clips. I used these to hold the moss in place.


Here it is with the moss. I let the moss drape down the sides to give it a more natural appearance.


I can't believe I cut off the top of the tree in the picture. Trust me it goes to the ceiling. I probably wouldn't have thought to do such a large scale tree if Mike didn't bring me those huge branches. I love how it turned out!


I decided to go with a blue and white color scheme. Shocking I know.


Oh how I love blue and white. A little bunny here and there.


A funny bunny here and there :)
I do love using that reindeer moss. Doesn't it look pretty with the marble eggs?

The Easter decorating is done, except of course if I do go get some more pussy willows. If you don't have them growing in the wild nearby, Wayside Gardens has a couple to choose from, including a very pretty weeping pussy willow. 
Enjoy your day,
Michelle

I'm linking this project to Christina's Adventures and her 










7 comments:

  1. Sooo beautiful...who knew they had so many personalities? I love that idea from Anytime flowers but they are all gorgeous...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pussy willows, they are so whimsical. Your tree is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't life better with a scattering of funny bunnies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an informative post! Those pillows are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the idea of an "Easter Tree". Why should Christmas have all the fun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Carrie! As i was sitting at the table today I was thinking that I wish I kept my bird ornaments out. They would look so pretty on the tree. Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun... love your tree and this burst of Springtime! xo

    ReplyDelete