Thursday, February 10, 2011

Topiaries

Hello friends,
Sorry I've not posted in a bit but my little guy had his tonsils out on Tuesday and I wanted to give him my undivided attention. I've also had topiaries on my mind because I've been wanting to make one for a Valentine's Day gift. I'll show you how I did it at the end of this post. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a bit competitive but that has nothing to do with my love of topiaries. I get that topiaries originated as a display of mans dominance over nature, but for me,  I really just like the way they look! Inside and outside, flanking an entrance or mantle or on the kitchen counter...they look so elegant and they are so easy to do. A topiary will take a bit of patience and a little more attention than other houseplants but they are worth it don't you think?

http://www.srgambrel.com/portfolio/town/tenth-street/

Dutch magazine, VT Wonen 

Dutch magazine, VT Wonen

These are actually preserved boxwood and not live plants. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1678008
From interior designer, Shannon Bowers- her restored two-story Georgian home.
 www.veranda.com

Also from interior designer, Shannon Bowers' restored two-story Georgian home.
 www.veranda.com

Source Unknown

Vivamore

Here is a simple tutorial for making a heart shaped topiary. {On a side note, I want to do more instructional type posts. If you have something in mind that you would like to see, just ask!}


To make this heart shaped, ivy topiary you will need:

Ivy plant (during the winter months they are available at Walmart, Home Depot or the grocery store)
Wire coat hanger
Decorative pot or container
Potting soil

Because I have many topiaries, I am often pruning them and rooting the slips that I trim off. This will be the case for you as well. At first, you want to let the ivy grow and continue twining it around the form so that you will have a nicely shaped and full topiary but after a while just snip off the wayward shoots and put them in water. In a  couple of weeks they will start to get roots and will be ready for another topiary...maybe an egg shape for Easter. It's a slippery slope -you will have a collection in no time and some for giving!


Bend this part of the coat hanger as shown. It will help hold the form in place.


Shape the hanger into a circle first to get the "bends" out and then shape it into a heart (or four leaf clover or any other shape your heart desires).



Plant your form and ivy together in the container. Twine the ivy around the form. It's that simple. If you would like, tie a ribbon around it or hang an ornament from the center and if you really are into it, use two forms to make a three dimensional heart. (Would you like to see what that looks like?) In the background, is a circle topiary that I made last year and as you can see it is quite full. It doesn't take long!

Have fun and if you try it, let me know how it turns out!
Michelle



1 comment: